Walking and Old Age


Although walking pace is a seemingly basic measure to make,
it has been gaining traction in the gerontology world as a
reliable marker for overall health and longevity for those
65 and older.

Blood pressure is one indicator of your health, it doesn't
tell you everything—your walking speed doesn't either," If
the correlation of walking speed with life expectancy"was
valid everyone would be running like the IRS was after them.
The example of "white coat hypertension" in which a person's
blood pressure rises "because they're nervous that their
doctor is measuring their blood pressure and what he may
find."
I have been using a pedometer for a number of years, and
although my pace has slowed over the years I know that if
my pedometer indicates I have walked 2500 steps,I have
walked 1 mile.Omron makes a reliable pedometer, mine
went through a wash cycle and after drying out still works
reliably. I try to walk a mile a day at least. I'm 81 yrs. old.
 
I play billiards almost daily and easily cover a mile in a
afternoon entertainment,so walking does not have to
be outside. A buddy of mine uses a "treadmill" and walks
just about every day. This eliminates the bad weather
problems.Try it you will be surprised how good you will
feel after doing this simple exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google's New Gmail