Statins and nightime leg cramps

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is produced by the human

body and is necessary for the basic

functioning of cells. CoQ10 levels are

reported to decrease with age and to be low in

patients with some chronic diseases such as

heart conditions, muscular dystrophies,

Parkinson's disease, cancer, diabetes, and

HIV/AIDS. Some prescription drugs may also

lower CoQ10 levels.

Levels of CoQ10 in the body can be increased

by taking CoQ10 supplements, although it is

not clear that replacing "low CoQ10" is

beneficial.

CoQ10 has been used, recommended, or studied

for numerous conditions, but remains

controversial as a treatment in many areas.
*********************************************

Patient Complaints - and Remedies?
***********************************
You bet statins cause cramps. I’m begging to

think it’s the dirty little secret that is

being kept from all statin users. I'm off

statins for now and no more cramps, vibrations

or trigger finger. It's so nice to sit and

watch TV without the terror that comes with

the precursor of an attack. My cholesterol is

up from 185 to 295 in the 6 weeks or so since

I stopped all statins (Crestor being the

last). I meet with my doctor in 3 weeks so

perhaps he'll have a plan. I read that statins

in low doses taken with CoQ10 there are no

cramps. I'd be willing to give that a try.

Whatever we decide I want blood work every 2

weeks like a Coumadin patient to monitor my CK

levels. Normal CK (Creatine Kinase) blood

levels range up to 198 U/L (units per liter).

My level was 540.
**********************************
I didn't know that statins caused the cramping

I was experiencing, but I did discover Cramp

Bark from Herb Pharmacy. As long as I take it

3-5 times a day I have no cramping now for

over a year. I had already been taking lots of

Calcium, potassium, and magnisium. I am on

COQ10 to protect my liver from statins, but

will now up the dosage. Cramp Bark is a life

saver. I stock pile it!
*************************************
The answer is yes, in my opinion.  Sealed

Statin drugs (such as Zocor, Lipitor,

Lovastatin, Pravachol, Mevacor, and Lescol)

may cause cramps and other forms of myopathy

because they block cholesterol production in

the body by inhibiting the enzyme called

HMG-CoA reductase. (Please see the "mevalonate

pathway" for details.) Unfortunately, the

antioxidant CoQ10 is also synthesized from

another HMG-CoA reductase pathway.  Therefore,

statin drugs also inhibit CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10)

synthesis. Low levels of CoQ10 could

predispose the patients to cramps, including

cramping in the heart (heart attack).  Thus,

coQ10 is often prescribed or recommended to

prevent the cramping.  Some statin drugs now

come with coQ10, but I don't know which ones.
***********************************
Yes I agree with you. I suffer from cramps as

a result of taking lipitor for my chlosestrol.

I have been taking slow mag (magnesisum

capsules) and have found that this eliminates

the cramps at night. When I stop taking slow

mag the cramps return. I sugest you try slow

mag to avoid cramps.
**********************************
have been on Lipitor for over 10 years. About

1 1/2 years ago I started getting horrific

cramps in my calves, feet and ankles at night.

There were non-stop....awful pain....no sleep.

Eventually I stopped taking Lipitor out of

despertion and the cramps subsided for the

most part. I finally told my dr that I had

gone off the meds. After 6 months I was

re-tested (results were ugly as expected) and

doctor has now put me on Crestor. The very 1st

night the cramps returned. The next night was

even worse. I just started taking coQ10 to see

if that helps. Apparently from reading this

message board this is a fairly common problem.

Why don't doctors listen?
***********************************
My husband has taken several different statins

over the years and has also developed severe

night leg and foot cramps in the past.  I am a

registered nurse, and from previous knowledge

had him drink a combination of 4oz of tonic

water with 4oz of sports drink before bedtime.

 All cramps dissappeared.  He does this

several times a week, not daily and it is very

economical.  Tonic water contains quinine in

small amounts which along with the minerals in

the sports drink helps to prevent the cramps.

Hopefully this will also work for others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google's New Gmail